Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Popular?

Why is it so important for me that people like me? Why is it so important for me to be popular?

My heart has been pulled by two clearly opposite ideas: One is to glorify my Father in heaven without worrying about anything else in life, and the other one is to seek glory for myself in this world.

I keep worried about how people would see me. I am struggling to put aside this thought. I would like to be able to focus more on my Master, but it seems to be a very difficult thing to do. Being seen as a role model in a certain community for whole my life makes it a very hard task for me.

How if people despise me because I am being true to myself? How if they leave me because I am telling what I really think? How if they think low on me because I fight for what I believe?

I have been telling myself these days: "Don't worry about it, as long as you focus your mind on the will of the Father, as long as you strive for Kingdom of God, as long as you are honest to Him, nothing else matters!!"

But it is easier said than done. WE, HUMAN, were always brought up as a part of a community with its norms and values. You usually end up in a lonely place if you are trying to be true to yourself, because usually the majority would consider you to be odd, weird, or stupid.

Many may think that the problem of conforming the societal norms and values only the problems of the Eastern world, where--so they say--the society is generally valued higher than individuals.
I would say, no, it is not true. People grew up in the so-called Western world are also not free from the norms and values they were raised with.

Maybe, that's why, I think, the search of self is this:
How you learn to live as a genuine person: to try to fit the original design of yourself which your Creator made. And however strong your surroundings influence you, to try to find out which parts of that surroundings are truly yours.

Groningen, 23:28

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home