Sunday, April 23, 2006

Viva Excessimus!

Yesterday, Saturday, 22 April 2006, was Excessimus's concert. I have devoted myself as one of the 'eerste sopranen' of this choir, one the highest tone contributors among the female singers. I joined this choir in Groningen since September 2005. Since then, it has been an amazing experience.

How did it start, actually?

Well, did you ever feel like you were urged to go somewhere? I felt like that when I decided to come to the open repetition of this choir. I had watched the performers of another choir that has a quite good standard of vocal training. But I always doubted of even trying to enter that choir. Why? I never know. I just didn't feel like it. But as soon as I met the first person of Excessimus, I said to myself, "I think I belong here!". And maybe, it is because of the people, the other members of the choir, and the atmosphere of the rehearsal.

I started it quite hard, because, of course, they all speak Dutch. Although I could follow the general lines of their conversations, I still struggled to catch the joke phrases of the conductor, and to understand the actually content of a meeting. But yesterday, it paid off, for some pretty good reasons:

1. We were singing in a beautiful catholic church, Josefkerk. This church has a combination of having great acoustic and a magical atmosphere. Since the first moment I stepped into that church, few years ago, I said to myself: "One day, I want to sing in this church!". So it was like a dream come true.

2. We were singing a complete REQUIEM by DURUFLE: from Introitus up to In Paradisum. WOW! It was the first time I was singing a complete work of a composer. Usually in Indonesia we sang only one or two parts of a complete work; Hallelujah or Since by man came death from Messiah by Handel, a part of Creation by Haydn. But never any full Oratorio, Requiem, or Kyrie. So, it was again, another dream came true!

3. We were singing with a PIPE ORGAN. Can you believe it? A pipe organ! I have never sung before in Indonesia with such an instrument! I was really thrilled listening to the combination that piece of instruments with our choir. Another great dream came true!

4. Music is my first love...Yup! My true first love! There were many days that I was down. Music made me feel excited again, because I believed that whatever happened to me, nobody and nothing could take away what I always had in my soul: my music!

"Thank you for the music, the song we're singing..." (ABBA)

5. And I give thanks to THE DIVINE GOD who put music in human beings! I always feel that there is no such thing as 'pure coincidence'. So I believe that my chance to sing in this choir is also one of his gifts for me who has been far away from home...Some gifts of 'beauties and pains' that God has been pouring into my life....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home