Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Roisin Dubh


I 'baptized' my blog with the name of 'Roisin Dubh'. It is a title of a song, originally an Irish traditional song. The meaning of Roisin Dubh is Black Rose.

Doesn't sound like a cheerful name, does it?

But of course, I chose a name not because it is simply a name. This name is marking my stage of being entirely captured by Irish music, or Celtic music. This type of music gave me a sense of deep longing and strong chills that I can not describe, which I never had with any other type of music before . And it has been haunting me since....

And for the first time, I wished I was born Irish. Every time I heard their music, I felt like I was brought back 'home'. A home that I have never set my foot on before.
Mystical magical tune...
And for the first time my strong love for music has put me under a spell...I became sick of love, of love tunes...and I can never turn back....It is something painful and beautiful at the same time....And that's life isn't it? Beautiful and painful at the same time?
................

Roisin Dubh, is Black rose.

I heard this song for the first time through the sweet voice of Michael McGlynn. It has a very simple melody, with a tune of an acoustic guitar, accompanied by background of pure female voices of singers of ANUNA. But the blend of those components is just perfect! Below is the complete lyrics of the song. I wish you could hear the sound while reading it....
So, enjoy! Enjoy the beauty and the pain...

I spent every waking moment with you
I crossed mountains and rivers to be with you
Your voice is the music of the harp, Roisin Dubh
Your voice is the music of the harp, Roisin Dubh

I gave you all the love of my heart
But you left me without strength of mind or fort
Don't fail me, my Roisin Dubh
Don't fail me, my Roisin Dubh

I walked through the dew with you hoping
For love and affection for my weary soul
You said you loved me, Sweet Roisin Dubh
You said you loved me, Sweet Roisin Dubh

All the mountains would shake and the rivers will rise
Waves of blood will wash the sand beneath the skies
All will be destroyed when you died, my Roisin Dubh
All will be destroyed when you died, my Roisin Dubh.....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home